Skip to main content

A Speech-Language Pathologist, or SLP for short, is a licensed allied health professional. SLPs are licensed by their state and often have a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). In order to receive their credentials, SLPs must have a minimum of a master’s degree in speech-language pathology from an accredited university including 400 hours of clinical experience and a clinical fellowship following graduation consisting of at least 1260 hours. Ongoing continuing education hours are required to maintain licensure.

Speech-Language Pathologists are uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat a variety of domains, including speech sound production, fluency/stuttering, language, cognition, voice, resonance, auditory habilitation/rehabilitation, feeding and swallowing, and augmentative and alternative communication. SLPs may work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, skilled nursing facilities, schools, and private practice with patients of all ages across the lifespan from development to rehabilitation.

Contact Mountainside Speech Therapy to see what a professional SLP can do for you!

Leave a Reply